A Melon In May Salad!
It’s finally May which means summer is right around the corner! As the weather is getting warmer, more and more yummy fruits and vegetables are coming into season with loads of health benefits. One of our favorites, and a summer staple in our opinion is watermelon! Watermelon season typically runs from May- September which means watermelons should be popping up in your local grocery store soon! Today on the blog is one our favorite summer salads, featuring the one and only watermelon. This no fuss, easy watermelon salad is sure to compliment grilled chicken or pork, or you can throw that grilled chicken on top of the salad and make it an entrée!
Easy Watermelon Arugula and Feta Salad
Prep Time: 15 mins
Yield: 4 servings
· 3 cups seedless watermelon, cubed and chilled
· ½ cup crumbled feta
· 7 oz arugula or spinach (or a mix of both)
· ¼ small red onion, sliced very thin
· 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
· 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· Kosher salt and fresh pepper
1) Wash arugula or spinach and dry well
2) In a large bowl whisk vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper
3) Toss with the remaining ingredients and serve.
This salad combines a load of fresh ingredients providing a variety of vitamins and minerals. Watermelon alone provides hydration, is high in Vitamin C and A, and serves as an antioxidant. Antioxidants help remove free radicals from the body that can increase the risk of cancer development and heart disease. By eating a diet rich in antioxidants, you can help your body get rid of these free radicals and lower your risk of developing cancer or heart disease. So, next time you’re searching for a fresh summer side dish, give this watermelon salad a try!
Serving Size: ¼ Salad
Calories: 158, Carbohydrates: 11g, Protein 4g, Fat: 11.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium 219.5mg, Fiber 1g, Sugar: 9g
1. Homolka G. Watermelon Arugula and Feta Salad. Skinnytaste. https://www.skinnytaste.com/watermelon-and-feta-salad-3-pts/. Published 2021. Accessed April 14, 2021.
2. Ware M. Watermelon: Health benefits, nutrition, and risks. Medicalnewstoday.com. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266886. Published 2021. Accessed April 14, 2021.