Parlez Vous Parfaits?
That's ok, forget the French! The middle of the summer brings on 4th of July in the great USA and lots of family fun! It's the time we celebrate our great nation with fantastic fireworks, family picnics, and backyard barbeques! Here is a quick and easy blueberry snack to make:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
· 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
· 1 container (8 ounces) fat-free lemon-flavor yogurt
· 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed and patted dry
· ½ cup granola
1) In a small bowl, combine the pineapple with half of the yogurt.
2) In 4 small wineglasses or juice glasses, alternately layer the pineapple-yogurt mixture, blueberries, and granola.
3) Repeat the layering twice. Top each parfait with a dollop of yogurt.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
233 calories; 4 g protein; 49 g carbohydrate; 3 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol; 3.2 g dietary fiber; 43 mg sodium; 1.7 g sugar.
Health Benefits of blueberries include:
· Blueberries are among the most nutrient-dense berries
· Blueberries have the highest antioxidant levels of common fruits and vegetables
· Blueberries may lower blood pressure
· Blueberries can help maintain brain function and improve memory
· Blueberries protect against aging and cancer
1. Colgrove, K. July Food Calendar. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources. https://food.unl.edu/july-food-calendar#blueberry. Accessed June 12, 2021.
2. Leech, J. 10 Proven Health Benefits of Blueberries. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-proven-benefits-of-blueberries. Published 2018. Accessed June 12, 2021.