Tips for staying healthy in the summertime:
- Take advantage of the fresh, colorful produce
- Visit local farmers markets
- Stay hydrated
- watch your portion sizing – have snacks planned and pre-portioned
- Get out for some exercise and enjoy the nice weather
These recipes fit right into your healthy meal plan goals. Best of all, family members will love them, too. Each recipe is under 40 grams of carbohydrates per serving. They are perfect for those sizzling summer days.
Turkey Burger with peach mayo
1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
2 small peaches, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
4 teaspoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce, divided
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
6 multigrain hamburger buns, split and toasted
Optional toppings: lettuce leaves and slices of peaches, red onion and tomatoes
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peaches and ginger; cook and stir until peaches are tender. Stir in 1 teaspoon teriyaki sauce; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a small bowl; cool slightly.
2. In a large bowl, combine onion, pepper, salt and remaining teriyaki sauce. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties.
3. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°.
4. Stir mayonnaise into peach mixture. Serve burgers on buns with peach mayo and toppings as desired.
1 burger (calculated without optional toppings): 319 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugar, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Cool & Crunchy Chicken Salad
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1 cup pecan halves, toasted
1. In a large bowl, mix the first eight ingredients until blended. Add chicken, grapes, celery and pecans; toss to coat. Serve on lettuce.
1 cup serving: 340 calories, 24g fat (3g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugar, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 fat, 1/2 starch.
Chicken Tzatziki Cucumber Boats
2 medium cucumbers
1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
3 teaspoons fresh dill, divided
1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
1 cup chopped seeded tomato (about 1 large), divided
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
1. Cut each cucumber lengthwise in half; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. In a bowl, mix yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic salt and 1 teaspoon dill; gently stir in chicken, 3/4 cup tomato and peas.
2. Spoon into cucumber shells. Top with the remaining tomato and dill.
2 filled cucumber halves: 312 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugar, 6g fiber), 34g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Recipes adapted from: 60 Incredibly Delicious Diabetic Dinner Recipes | Taste of Home